This page (set up just so I could see how Blogger works) is a portal
to our adventures in food and drink, recipes, disasters, triumphs...


Please use the links below or go directly to the real blog from OUR kitchen



` ` `


07 July 2010

emergency upgrade for etherwork

The webhost for my real blog on etherwork.net has just posted the following and my real blog will be off-line for a brief (I hope) time this morning:

July 7, 8:59 AM - Emergency Upgrade Over the weekend, cPanel's nightly updates made a huge mess of things. It broke some functionality that many sites rely upon (GD for one). To fix it I have to embark on a series of upgrades the first of which is an OS upgrade. [...] I expect the total downtime to be under 1 hour, but keep watching here for details and updates. I am taking down all services and starting the fundamental OS upgrade right now.


As always, the way to know whether etherwork is back online is to refresh this page. If you see a leafy image at the top of the page, then you can access the real blog.

edit: I'm very happy to say that my real blog is now back online

July 7, 9:15 AM - Base OS Update Completed The Operating System upgrade has been completed and the system is coming back up. It took far less time than expected because I prepared a lot of work last night (it's nice when a plan actually goes off as expected!) The second step is to upgrade cPanel - this really won't have too much of an affect on the server - your web sites, email and everything else will be up and functioning as usual.